State Issues | Trailer & Registration

New transportation procedure for Nevada

Be aware that rental companies or others transporting equipment into and/or through Nevada on carriers defined as commercial with a combined gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or greater must obtain a 24-hour temporary registration trip permit prior to traveling in or through Nevada as of July 1, 2009.

Vehicles may no longer travel in Nevada to the first available vendor to purchase trip permits. This includes all carriers entering Nevada and then purchasing permits from in-state vendors.

Administrative fines will also be imposed in addition to any applicable criminal penalties if a vehicle or combination of vehicles is determined to weigh greater than its registered weight. If a vehicle is cited, it must be re-registered at its maximum weight and a fine will be assessed:

  • First offense - $500
  • Second offense - $1,000
  • Third offense - $1,500
  • Fourth or subsequent offense - $2,500

If you do not already do business in Nevada and have no way of obtaining a temporary permit by visiting a motor carrier office, you can obtain a temporary registration trip permit through a wire service. Click here for a listing of wire services and their phone numbers.

If you have questions, contact the Nevada Motor Carrier Division Licensing Team at (775) 684-4711, option 1.

For more information, including a helpful FAQ, click here.

For a list of Nevada Motor Carrier Office locations and contact information, click here.

This alert is provided by the ARA for reference by ARA members in Regions 7, 8 and 9 who may conduct business in the state of Nevada.

Copyright © 2014 by The American Rental Association all rights reserved.