The term grassroots simply means YOU! The strength of your national association depends heavily on your involvement at the local level. ARA has members in every one of the 435 congressional districts in the U.S. and there are many opportunities for members to get involved in grassroots political activities.
ARA engages in direct lobbying through our office in Washington, D.C., and we use ARAPAC to develop relationships with members of Congress who support the legislative goals of the equipment rental industry. However, matching a face with an issue helps legislators see the personal impact of legislation. That face should always be an ARA member.
Even if you don’t consider yourself to be “political,” you can play a critical role in the success of your state and national association in a variety of ways – the choice is yours! You can:
- Write a letter in support of a bill to pass theft of rental services in your state.
- Visit a local representative with economic information about your state’s rental industry
- Participate in your state association’s Legislative Committee
- Volunteer to attend ARA’s National Legislative Caucus in Washington, D.C.
- Contact and build a relationship with your local officials and representatives —this is a critical building block in our government affairs efforts. Through these relationships, you have the opportunity to educate those who represent you locally and at the national level about the rental industry, the challenges you face and the issues critical to your business’ success. It also keeps you and your business top of mind when the need arises to contact the representative for their support on a specific issue. No matter the level, legislators cannot ignore voting constituents, especially those they know and with whom they share a relationship.
You, right where you are now, can have a real effect on the legislation that impacts your business and the equipment rental industry. The strength of ARA’s national government affairs program lies in the power and strength you have at the local level and your grassroots involvement.
ARA wants to strengthen this network of state and local association members who are ready to take action on issues that affect the equipment rental industry. YOU have the opportunity to become an effective advocate for your industry, helping yourself and your colleagues as well. Whether you choose to advocate for the rental industry at the local, state, or national arena — or all three! — your efforts will make a difference.
To find out more about getting involved, please contact Alysia Ryan, ARA's director of state government affairs, at 800-334-2177, ext. 271 or email@example.com.